Fort St. Elmo
Towers and Forts - Historical Places, Valletta
Newly restored Fort of St. Elmo is a jewel among forts in Malta, located at the very tip of the Sceberras Peninsula, actually in capital city of Valletta. The star shaped fort is built in 1552, giving so much needed protection to both Marsamxett and Grand Harbor waterways. After it was defeated by the Ottomans in 1565, it went again under the reconstructions, leaded by the Grand Master Jean Parisot de Valette, when it got a stronger fortification within the city walls. Later on, it was under the British rule, 1866-1877. In WWII the Fort suffered great destruction and after many years finally got restored.
On sundays, the fort gives the insight to the military drill which was actually performed by the Knights of St. John, called “In Guardia Parades”. Also, there are many other attractions around, like the restored breakwater St.Elmo Bridge, The Siege Bell War Memorial and Lower Barrakka Gardens. Within the fort walls is located the National War Museum, featuring many impressive collections of weapons, from different historical eras. To reach St. Elmo Fort, take a 20 minutes stroll down the Republic Street in Valletta and the fortress shall appear at the very end of the main street.
Alternatively, there are Karozzin rides or mini electric taxi operators, who can take you to this location faster. Opening hours are 9AM - 5Pm every day, and the entrance is charged 10.00eur, 7.50eur and 5.00eur, for the adults, seniors and children respectively.
Photo shooting site